The pioneering Sisters of St. Ann purchased the 400-acre farm, now known as Providence Farm, in 1864. The farm was first a boarding school for young Native girls (1864-1876) and then enlarged to make room for orphaned girls from the Academy in Victoria.
It next became a boarding school for boys in 1904. In 1921 a larger school was built, now known as Providence House. In 1950, girls were enrolled as externs and in 1956 Providence House become a day school for girls and boys. On June 22, 1964, the school bell rang for the last time. View some historical photographs here.
The many endeavours and ministries of the Sisters of St. Ann, through over 150 years of service, have been motivated by compassion, deep faith and a trust in Divine Providence.
The Sisters of St. Ann partnered with the Vancouver Island Providence Community Association in 1979 by providing the land for a shared vision of community service. In September 2009, at the celebration of Providence Farm’s 30th Anniversary, the Sisters of St. Ann formally transferred the stewardship of Providence Farm to the Vancouver Island Providence Community Association.